The Pop!_OS 22.04 LTS released
Pop!_OS is based on the Ubuntu and GNOME desktop environments and aims to provide users with a personalized and fresh experience. Although based on the GNOME desktop environment, System76 customizes user interfaces, drivers, and more, with a modern, simple look and a better user experience.
The creative and functional focus of Pop! _OS is aimed at professional users, making Linux desktops more productive and a great helper for engineers, developers, and computer scientists.
Pop!_OS encrypts your installation by default and is the only distro that enables full-disk encryption out-of-the-box from System76. A unique and private encryption key is generated during setup after you receive your computer.
Privacy is precious. Pop!_OS does not collect or store any information from user installations. Minimal OS and hardware version data is used (but not stored) to provide firmware and software updates and connectivity verification.
Pop!_OS also features automatic firmware updates on System76 laptops helping keep your pc secure and reliable.
Changelog Pop!_OS 22.04 LTS
Dark vs Light Backgrounds
You can now set one Dark Mode background and one Light Mode background from the Background panel in the Desktop settings. Search for Desktop, Background, Appearance, Dock, and Workspaces directly from the Launcher for the fastest way to navigate those settings options.
Enhanced Performance with the System76 Scheduler
The System76 Scheduler optimizes performance by directing resources to the window in focus. So if you’re doing something intensive like gaming in full screen, you’ll get a much smoother experience.
A New and Improved Pop!_Shop
After some significant renovations, the Pop!_Shop is once again open for business! The updated storefront includes:
- Backend code improvements for more responsive operations
- Improved reliability for package operations (update, install, etc.)
- UI Improvements to aid in allowing small window sizes for tiling
- Update and Install buttons now also function as a progress bar
- New “Recently Updated” homepage section highlighting newly added/updated apps
The result is a consistently smooth overall experience that we know you’ll love.
Switch to PipeWire for Audio Processing
To take advantage of the capabilities of modern sound hardware, Pop!_OS will now use PipeWire by default for audio processing. Software built to use PulseAudio will still be compatible with PipeWire, and this change will open up the door for better audio quality, control, and customization going forward.
Nuts and Bolts Improvements
The workspaces view has received a sizable tune-up, which includes:
- Better multi-monitor support
- Fixed layout on HiDPI displays
- Increased performance
- Installed NVIDIA drivers are now visible in Pop!_Shop, and will no longer include an “Install” button. Older drivers are also available to install, though the most recent available NVIDIA driver is recommended for most NVIDIA GPUs.
- Better performance with improvements to the CPU scaling governor, which keeps your CPU running at the optimal frequency for your system.
- The Pop!_OS upgrade service will now only activate when checking for or performing release upgrades. (Previously it was active 24/7.)
- If your upgrade gets interrupted, debian packages are now resumable—meaning you can pick up the upgrade from where you left off.
- File type for icons has been changed to .svg
- Max disk capacity for journald logs is now limited to 1GB.
- Added support for laptop privacy screens
- RDP by default for remote desktop use
- Better performance, scaling, and reliability in Pop!_Shop
- Added this funky new user icon
- Based on Ubuntu 22.04
- Linux kernel 5.16.19 at release (regularly updated)
- Mesa 22
- Updated to the GNOME 42 base with System76 COSMIC UX