OpenMandriva Lx, based on Mandriva and Mandrake code, is an exciting free Desktop Operating System that aims to cater to and interest first time and advanced users alike. It has the breadth and depth of an advanced system but is designed to be simple and straightforward in use.
OpenMandriva Lx comes from a 100% community-driven association that believes in the values of free software & collaboration and whose founding values are development, equality, co-operation, openness, freedom, group achievement, independence, and solidarity.
- KDE 4.14.3 – default desktop for 2014.x and older
- Plasma 5 – default desktop since Lx 3 release
- Wayland support throug Plasma 5, Hawaii desktop and papyros
- systemd – default initing system
- LLVM/clang – default compiler (better than gcc), improved speed and memory footprint
- Calamares – graphical installer
- Automatic hardware detection
- ARM v7 and ARM v8 (aarch64) support
OpenMandriva Lx 4.1 Beta is available for testing.
— The kernel has been updated to 5.4.7
— Qt has been updated to 5.14.0
— Plasma has been updated: Frameworks 5.65, Plasma Desktop 5.17.4, Applications 19.12.0
— More alternative desktops are available for testing
— We also provide the OpenMandriva clang compiled kernel, named kernel-release-clang. User can install same version of kernel-release and kernel-release-clang for comparison. Clang is the default compiler in OpenMandriva, but only recently the kernel was made compatible with it. For now, this is experimental
— We also provide Zypper as alternative package manager