OpenMandriva Lx, based on Mandriva and Mandrake code, is an exciting free Desktop Operating System that aims to cater to and interest first time and advanced users alike. It has the breadth and depth of an advanced system but is designed to be simple and straightforward in use.
OpenMandriva Lx comes from a 100% community-driven association that believes in the values of free software & collaboration and whose founding values are development, equality, co-operation, openness, freedom, group achievement, independence, and solidarity.
- KDE 4.14.3 – default desktop for 2014.x and older
- Plasma 5 – default desktop since Lx 3 release
- Wayland support throug Plasma 5, Hawaii desktop and papyros
- systemd – default initing system
- LLVM/clang – default compiler (better than gcc), improved speed and memory footprint
- Calamares – graphical installer
- Automatic hardware detection
- ARM v7 and ARM v8 (aarch64) support
OpenMandriva Lx 4.0 releases.
- KDE Plasma has been updated to 5.15.5 (with Frameworks 5.58 and Applications 19.04.2, Qt 5.12.3);
- LibreOffice is now working with complete Plasma integration, giving the user familiar system dialogs and an improved look and feel;
- Falkon, a KDE web browser that uses the same rendering engine as Chromium, is now the default browser, reducing the memory footprint and delivering a more consistent UI;
- Since the problematic patents on MP3 have expired between the Lx 3 and 4 releases, MP3 decoders and encoders are now included in the main distribution. Video and Audio players have also been updated.
- OpenMandriva brand-name applications:
OM Welcome has been updated a lot and OM Control Center is now included in the main distribution;
OM Control Center replaces the dated DrakX tools;
OM Repository Management Tool (om-repo-picker), a frontend for DNF package repository selection, is now available
- Live mode:
ISO menu new entries for language and keyboard preference
Upon user’s request, KPatience card games have been included in ISO (live mode only)
- Calamares new features:
Easy swap partition option
Calamares log copied to successfully installed system
Automagically removing all unused languages at the end of installation
Calamares now checks whether system is installed in VirtualBox or in real hardware. If in real hardware it removes virtualbox unuseful packages.
Core packages updated:
KDE Plasma: 5.15.5
KDE Frameworks: 5.57.0
KDE Applications: 19.04.1
Qt Framework 5.12
Main packages updated:
Firefox Quantum 66.0.5
Xorg 1.20.4, Mesa 19.0.3