KDE Plasma 5.14 release: add new features
The KDE Plasma 5.14 desktop environment was officially released today. The KDE Plasma 5.13 desktop environment branch has reached the end of life, and the team is committed to providing some new features for the 5.14 branch, including the much improved Plasma Discover graphical package manager, access to channels for Snap applications, viewing application package dependencies, and more.
Also, the Plasma 5.14 branch allows users to display and arrange applications based on the release date, notify users when a new version of the package is available, and provide the Flatpak backend to the user when attempting to install the Flatpak application. Also, the Plasma Discover user interface has been dramatically adjusted to improve reliability and stability.
- There’s a new Display Configuration widget for screen management which is useful for presentations.
- The Audio Volume widget now has a built in speaker test feature moved from Phonon settings.
- The Network widget now works for SSH VPN tunnels again.
- Switching primary monitor when plugging in or unplugging monitors is now smoother.
- The lock screen now handles user-switching for better usability and security.
- You can now import existing encrypted files from a Plasma Vault.
- The Task Manager implements better compatibility with LibreOffice.
- The System Monitor now has a ‘Tools’ menu full of launchers to handy utilities.
- The Kickoff application menu now switches tabs instantly on hover.
- Widget and panels get consistent icons and other user interface improvements.