Apple just announced the final release date of its upcoming iOS 12 update: September 17. But you don’t have to wait until then; you can start installing the GM version of iOS 12 from today and have access to improved notifications, memos, screen times, Siri shortcuts, and other new features included in the update. Keep in mind that iOS 12 can also improve the performance and responsiveness of your old iPhone.
The GM version of iOS 12 – probably the same as the official version – is being rolled out today to participants in Apple‘s beta testing program. So if you want to start using the new update right away, join the beta.
Be sure to back up your device while iOS 11 is still running before upgrading – just in case. The best way is through iTunes.
How to install the iOS 12 GM version:
- Visit beta.apple.com/sp/betaprogram
- Select “Sign up” or sign in with your Apple ID. Agree to the usual terms and conditions.
- Here, select the iOS tab where you can see the option to download the beta profile to your device.
- Select “Install”, the system will ask you to enter the iOS device password and follow the prompts to complete the confirmation.
- In the end, your iPhone will restart. After that, you can go to Settings – Check for updates, then you should see the iOS 12 update. Download and install it just like any other iOS version.
Which iOS devices are supported?
- iPhone X
- iPhone 8 and 8 Plus
- iPhone 7 and 7 Plus
- iPhone 6S and 6S Plus
- iPhone SE
- iPhone 6 and 6 Plus
- iPhone 5S
- iPad Pro (9.7 inches, 10.5 inches, both generations are 12.9 inches)
- iPad (2018)
- iPad (fifth generation)
- iPad Air and iPad Air 2
- iPad mini 2, 3 and 4
- iPod Touch (sixth generation)