Glide is a fast and efficient open source media management and image loading framework for Android that wraps media decoding, memory and disk caching, and resource pooling into a simple and easy to use interface.
It supports fetching, decoding, and displaying video stills, images, and animated GIFs. It includes a flexible API that allows developers to plug into almost any network stack. By default, Glide uses a custom HttpUrlConnection based stack, but also includes utility libraries plug into Google’s Volley project or Square’s OkHttp library instead.
Its primary focus is on making scrolling any kind of a list of images as smooth and fast as possible, but it is also effective for almost any case where you need to fetch, resize, and display a remote image.
- Minimum Android SDK: Glide requires a minimum API level of 14.
- Compile Android SDK: Glide requires you to compile against API 26.
If you need to support older versions, consider staying on Glide v3, which works on API 10, but not actively maintained.
- OkHttp 2.x: there are optional dependencies available called okhttp-integration, see Integration Libraries wiki page.
- OkHttp 3.x: there are optional dependencies available called okhttp3-integration, see Integration Libraries wiki page.
- Volley: there are optional dependencies available called volley-integration, see Integration Libraries wiki page.
- Round Pictures: CircleImageView/CircularImageView/RoundedImageView are known to have issues with TransitionDrawable (.crossFade() with .thumbnail() or .placeholder()) and animated GIFs, use a BitmapTransformation (.circleCrop() will be available in v4) or .dontAnimate() to fix the issue.
- Huge Images (maps, comic strips): Glide can load huge images by downsampling them, but does not support zooming and panning ImageViews as they require special resource optimizations (such as tiling) to work without OutOfMemoryErrors.
Glide 4.6.1 was released.
- Fixes an issue where pom files in the 4.6.0 release did not list the appropriate dependencies for Glide’s various components (#2863)