GeckoLinux derives from the openSUSE distribution, which is characterized by elegance and out-of-the-box accessibility for the desktop. The release features a number of desktop styles that can be installed from a self-starting CD. OpenSUSE default installation, there is some open-source software due to obstruction in the absence of patents, but they are included in the GeckoLinux.
- An installable live DVD / USB image based on openSUSE around 1GB in size
- Individual editions for many different popular desktop environments with a pleasant default configuration
- Carefully selected open-source desktop programs and proprietary media codecs pre-installed and ready to use
- Beautiful open-source font rendering configured out of the box
- Optimal power management with TLP pre-installed
- Much more open source and patent encumbered software available in the pre-configured repositories
- Uses the excellent infrastructure already in place for openSUSE, with no repackaging or modification of packages
- An installed system can be smoothly upgraded to future openSUSE releases while retaining its unique GeckoLinux configuration.
GeckoLinux 999.200729.0 released.
GeckoLinux continues to be focused on eliminating pain points and polishing its unique out-of-the-box configuration on top of the stable and flexible openSUSE base. Proprietary media formats play out of the box, and additional user-installed multimedia applications work automatically with restricted media codecs thanks to the prioritized inclusion of the Packman repository. Proprietary hardware driver and firmware support has also been included as much as possible. Google and Skype repositories are also configured out-of-the-box for optional installation by the user of proprietary applications from those vendors. Third-party RPM packages can be easily installed using the graphical YaST package manager. GeckoLinux ROLLING editions use the Calamares system installer at version 3.2.27, providing easy but powerful options for reliable installation of the live system. The Linux kernel included in the current set of GeckoLinux ROLLING ISOs is at version 5.7.9.
A variety of GeckoLinux ISO spins are available with polished desktop environments to suit every need and preference. Each spin contains a well curated selection of preinstalled applications appropriate for the particular desktop environment. The GeckoLinux ROLLING 999.200729 spins include the following desktop environments:
- Cinnamon 4.4
- Mate 1.24.0
- Plasma 5.19 / Framework 5.72 / KDE applications 20.04
- XFCE 4.14
- Gnome 3.36
- LXQt 0.15