Tails OS is a live operating system that you can start on almost any computer from a DVD, USB stick, or SD card.
It aims at preserving your privacy and anonymity and helps you to:
- use the Internet anonymously and circumvent censorship; all connections to the Internet are forced to go through the Tor network;
- leave no trace on the computer you are using unless you ask it explicitly;
- use state-of-the-art cryptographic tools to encrypt your files, emails and instant messaging.
Tails OS 4.0 RC1 has been released.
Major changes to included software
- Update Tor Browser to 9.0a7, based on Firefox 68.1.0esr.
- Update Electrum to 3.3.8, which works with the current Bitcoin network.
- Update Linux to 5.3.2.
- Update tor to 0.4.1.6.
Usability improvements to Tails Greeter
We improved various aspects of the usability of Tails Greeter, especially for non-English users.
- To make it easier to select a language, we curated the list of proposed languages by removing the ones that had too little translations to be useful.
- We also simplified the list of keyboard layouts.
- We fixed the Formats setting, which was not being applied.
- We prevented additional settings to be applied when clicking on Cancel or Back.
- Fix the delivery of WhisperBack reports. (#17110)
- Dozens of other problems — literally. For more details, read our changelog.
- Spellchecking only works for English. (#17150)
To fix it, set
- Unsafe Browser tabs have the “Private Browsing” name and the Tor Browser‘s icon. (#17142)
- The On-screen keyboard does not allow to input any accentuated char. (#17021)
- Other open tickets for Tails 4.0
See the list of long-standing issues.