SparkyLinux Rolling is a Debian-based Linux distribution which provides ready to use, out of the box operating system with a set of slightly customized lightweight desktops.
SparkyLinux is a lightweight, fast, easy-to-use Linux distribution designed to work with both old and new computers, and features custom Enlightenment and LXDE desktops. It is based on Debian GNU/Linux.Sparky is targeted to all the computer’s users who want replace existing, proprietary driven OS to an open-sourced.
Sparky is also targeted to two different groups of users:
– Home Editions – with all the tools, codecs, plugins and drivers preinstalled – to the users who want to have everything ready and works from the first system’s run
– Base Editions – with minimal set of tools – to advanced users who like to set up everything as they want
Main features of Sparky
– Debian testing based
– rolling release
– lightweight, fast & simple
– set of desktops to choose: LXDE, Enlightenment, JWM, KDE, LXQt, Openbox, MATE, Xfce
– ultra light base edition with Openbox or JWM desktops
– special gaming edition: GameOver
– CLI Edition (no X) for building customized desktop
– most wireless and mobile network cards supported
– set of selected applications, multimedia codecs and plugins
– own repository with a large set of additional applications
– easy hard drive / USB installation
In general, Sparky is not targeted to Linux beginners, rather to users with some amount of Linux knowledge.
SparkyLinux 2019.08 Special Editions has been released.
GameOver, Multimedia & Rescue available to download. Sparky ‘Po Tolo’ follows rolling release model and is based on Debian testing “Bullseye”.
GameOver Edition features a very large number of preinstalled games, useful tools and scripts. It’s targeted to gamers.
Multimedia Edition features a large set of tools for creating and editing graphics, audio, video and HTML pages.
The live system of Rescue Edition contains a large set of tools for scanning and fixing files, partitions and operating systems installed on hard drives.
– system upgraded from Debian testing repos as of August 7, 2019
– Linux kernel 4.19.37
– Calamares installer 3.2.11
– new Sparky6 theme
– new Tela icon set
– refreshed desktop look