Solus is an independent desktop operating system based on the Linux kernel. Solus comes pre-installed with a wide range of software that includes the latest Firefox, Thunderbird, Transmission and GNOME MPV. Additional software that is not installed by default can be downloaded using the included Software Center. Wireless chips and modems are supported through optional non-free firmware packages.
Solus is currently available in three editions:
- Budgie flagship edition, a “feature-rich, luxurious desktop using the most modern technologies”;
- GNOME edition, running the GNOME desktop environment, “a contemporary desktop experience”;
- MATE edition using the MATE desktop environment, a “traditional desktop for advanced users and older hardware”
All our editions feature:
- Firefox 65.0.1
- LibreOffice 184.108.40.206
- Rhythmbox 3.4.3 with the latest release of the Alternate Toolbar extension
- Thunderbird 60.5.2
Our Budgie and GNOME Editions ship with GNOME MPV 0.16 and our MATE Edition ships with VLC 3.0.6
Hardware and Kernel Enablement
This release of Solus ships with Linux kernel 4.20.16, enabling us to provide support for AMD Picasso and Raven2 APUs, AMD Vega20 and broader Vega10 enablement, as well as improved support for Intel Coffee Lake and Ice Lake CPUs.
Furthermore, Linux kernel 4.20 expands our support for other hardware devices, such as touchpad support for the Lenovo IdeaPad 130-15IKB and 330-15ARR.
Mesa has been upgraded to the latest release, 19.0.0, enabling us to provide OpenGL 4.5 API support (for supported cards) as well as support for newer AMD Polaris, Vega10, Vega20, and VegaM cards.