Solus is an independent desktop operating system based on the Linux kernel. Solus comes pre-installed with a wide range of software that includes the latest Firefox, Thunderbird, Transmission and GNOME MPV. Additional software that is not installed by default can be downloaded using the included Software Center. Wireless chips and modems are supported through optional non-free firmware packages.
Solus is currently available in three editions:
- Budgie flagship edition, a “feature-rich, luxurious desktop using the most modern technologies”;
- GNOME edition, running the GNOME desktop environment, “a contemporary desktop experience”;
- MATE edition using the MATE desktop environment, a “traditional desktop for advanced users and older hardware”
All our editions feature:
- Firefox 72.0.2
- LibreOffice 126.96.36.199
- Thunderbird 68.4.1
For audio and video multimedia playback, we offer software out-of-the-box that caters specifically to our desired experience for that edition.
- Budgie, GNOME, and MATE editions all ship with Rhythmbox for audio playback, with the latest release of the Alternate Toolbar extension to provide a more modern user experience.
- Budgie and GNOME ship with GNOME MPV for video playback.
- MATE ships with VLC for video playback.
- Plasma ships with Elisa for audio playback and SMPlayer for video playback.
Hardware and Kernel Enablement
This release of Solus ships with Linux kernel 5.4.12, enabling us to provide support for a wide range of new hardware from AMD, Intel, and NVIDIA, such as:
- Newer AMD Radeon RX graphics cards, such as the 5700 and 5700XT.
- Newer AMD Ryzen 3rd generation processors, such as the 3600 and 3900X.
- Newer Intel Comet Lake and Ice Lake CPUs.
- Newer NVIDIA GPUs such as RTX 2080Ti.
Mesa has been upgraded to the latest release, 19.3.2. Mesa 19.3 introduces OpenGL 4.6 support (for supported cards) and enables the new experimental ACO shader compiler, in addition to a wide variety of improvements for AMD APUs (Raven Ridge) and Intel Iris Pro Graphics.