Samsung Galaxy S23 series may all use Qualcomm’s solution

It was previously reported that Samsung will establish a new team consisting of people from the semiconductor and smartphone divisions, internally named “Dream Platform One Team”. New development work will start in July 2022 in order to achieve a breakthrough in high-end SoCs, hoping to catch up with Apple’s A-series chips in 2025. At the same time Samsung is developing the Exynos 2300, but the situation does not seem optimistic.
Exynos 2200 Xclipse GPU

According to Sam Mobile, the Samsung Galaxy S23 series may all use Qualcomm’s solution. The reason is that the Exynos 2300 did not perform as expected, the manufacturing process used has problems with energy efficiency, and Qualcomm’s Snapdragon 8 Gen2 is a better chip overall, with better performance and more power efficiency.

Samsung released the Galaxy S22 series, 70% of the products are equipped with Qualcomm’s Snapdragon 8 Gen1 platform, and the remaining 30% are the Exynos 2200 platform with AMD RDNA 2 architecture Xclipse 920 GPU, which is not ideal. As Samsung chooses Qualcomm’s solution for high-end smartphones, this will further increase Qualcomm’s high-end SoC market share.

It is understood that Samsung’s new development team will consist of 1,000 engineers, and the goal is to develop high-end SoCs for the Galaxy S25 series in 2025. For Samsung’s design and mobile divisions, it would be a huge blow if the Galaxy S23 lineup finally switches to Qualcomm’s solution. However, it may be good news for users, who can expect a more comprehensive performance of smartphones, and more unified and in-depth optimization, which can improve the user experience.