Redcore Linux Hardened 2101 (Orion) Beta releases, based-Gentoo distro
Redcore Linux is a distribution based on Gentoo Linux (stable + some unstable) and a continuation of, now defunct, Kogaion Linux. Kogaion Linux itself was a distribution based initially on Sabayon Linux, and later on Gentoo Linux and it was developed by RogentOS Development Group since 2011. Ghiunhan Mamut (aka V3n3RiX) himself joined RogentOS Development Group in January 2014.
However, after more than 5 years of development, RogentOS Development Group decided to discontinue Kogaion Linux in November 2016, and so Redcore Linux was born.
Redcore Linux shares the same idea as his defunct ancestor, Kogaion Linux : to bring the power of Gentoo Linux to the masses. It aims to be a very quick way to install a pure Gentoo Linux system without spending hours or days compiling from source code, reading documentation etc.. To achieve this goal, it provides a repository with prebuilt binary packages which receives continuous updates (rolling release model).
Redcore Linux Hardened 2101 (Orion) Beta releases.
Changelog (since 2004 Neptune) :
- resync with Gentoo (08.01.2021)
- distribution rebuilt from scratch using new Gentoo profiles (details here)
- linux kernel 5.10.5 LTS, GCC 10.2.0, Glibc 2.32, binutils 2.35, LLVM 11.0.1
- graphics stack : mesa 20.3.2, libdrm 2.4.103, xorg-server 1.20.10
- qt 5.15.2, kde-frameworks 5.77, kde-apps 20.12.1, kde-plasma 5.20.5
- the backend of sisyphus (our package manager) was split in many smaller modules, so we can add new features more easily in the future
- the CLI frontend of sisyphus was completely rewritten
- live session will no longer ask for and user and password, will boot straight to desktop environment (plasma on X11)
- live session no longer randomly freezes, it should just … work (this issue was present for a long time, even on 2004 stable, finally fixed)
- adjusted apparmor profiles, samba works again (regression introduced in 2101 alpha, fixed)
- flatpak support out of the box, all you need is enable Flathub in Discover (feature introduced in 2101 alpha)
- and many more updates and fixes to count
Known issues :
- although the live user has no password, just pressing enter won’t unlock the session if the screenlock kicked in (works fine on installed system with a password)
- firefox won’t play youtube videos (first noticed in alpha, still looking for the root cause…other browsers work fine)