Redcore Linux is a distribution based on Gentoo Linux (stable + some unstable) and a continuation of, now defunct, Kogaion Linux. Kogaion Linux itself was a distribution based initially on Sabayon Linux, and later on Gentoo Linux and it was developed by RogentOS Development Group since 2011. Ghiunhan Mamut (aka V3n3RiX) himself joined RogentOS Development Group in January 2014.
However, after more than 5 years of development, RogentOS Development Group decided to discontinue Kogaion Linux in November 2016, and so Redcore Linux was born.
Redcore Linux shares the same idea as his defunct ancestor, Kogaion Linux : to bring the power of Gentoo Linux to the masses. It aims to be a very quick way to install a pure Gentoo Linux system without spending hours or days compiling from source code, reading documentation etc.. To achieve this goal, it provides a repository with prebuilt binary packages which receives continuous updates (rolling release model).
Redcore Linux recently released the official version of Redcore Linux Hardened 2004 (codename Neptune).
- resync with Gentoo testing tree on 14.05.2020
- linux kernel 5.6.13 hardened, as default (with wireguard enabled)
- linux kernel LTS 5.4.41 hardened available in repository
- linux kernel LTS Legacy 4.19.123 hardened available in repository
- toolchain has been updated with glibc 2.30, gcc 9.3.0, binutils 2.34, llvm 10.0.0
- a mass rebuild has been triggered; all packages have been rebuilt with the new toolchain
- openrc-init is now PID1, replacing sysvinit
- libglvnd is now enabled for GL dispatch, replacing eselect-opengl (installation of proprietary nvidia-drivers is now as easy as : install, reboot, enjoy)
- xorg-server updated to 1.20.8; in addition an out of tree patch is applied to allow PRIME using proprietary nvidia-drivers(needs nvidia-prime package)
- the default python interpretor is now python 3.7.7
- linux-steam-integration is now available in the repository, for a better gaming experience
- package updates all over the place, you will find the very latest upstream applications (as of 14.05.2020)