Lakka 3.1 releases: Linux distribution for gaming consoles
Lakka is a lightweight Linux distribution that transforms a small computer into a full-blown emulation console.
- Powerful – Built on top of the famous RetroArch emulator, Lakka is able to emulate a large range of hardware and has some useful features such as Braid-like rewinding, joypad hotplug and video streaming.
- User-friendly – Lakka is easy to setup and use. Once installed to your SD card, you just have to put your rom on the card, plug your joypad and enjoy your favorite old games.
- Low cost – The hardware required to run Lakka cost only $35. We also support PS3 and XBox360 controllers so you don’t have to buy new ones. The power can be supplied by any micro USB adapter like the one of your smartphone.
- Open source – Our code is free as in freedom and hosted on Github. We accept external contributions, and we do our best to integrate our own patches into upstream projects.
After some months of development finally came the 3.1 official release, which has made significant improvements in the UI, emulator kernel, and supported hardware. The main update:
Noteworthy changes since version 3.0:
- RetroArch updated to 1.9.4
- Prevent unnecessary extraction to disk of compressed content files
- Brightness restoration
- Updated translations from Crowdin
- Cores updated to their most recent versions
- Added battery stats in RetroArch (for devices that have sysfs node for system battery)
- Fixed safe shutdown on GPICase
- Fixed audio issues on Raspberry Pi 4
- Fixed FMV issues with PPSSPP core
- Fixed backlight brightness
- Odroid XU3/4 port is now fully functional and will be optimized in future releases
- Mesa updated to 21.1.1
- VULKAN enabled in Dolphin and PPSSPP (Raspberry Pi 4, Generic 64 bit, Nintendo Switch)
- Improvements to the Nintendo Switch port
- Fixed Vulkan renderer
- Fixed Joycon mappings
- Fixed mounts
- Added dock support (note: the kernel will crash/lock-up if the console is put into sleep before placed into dock)
- Added some cores that were not included in previous version