Endless OS is a Linux-based operating system which provides a simplified and streamlined user experience using a customized desktop environment forked from GNOME 3. Rather than using a traditional Linux package management system, Endless OS uses a read-only root file system managed by OSTree with application bundles overlaid on top.
- Preloaded with content
It comes with more than 100 free apps and powerful tools that don’t require an Internet connection.
- Simple as a smartphone
It is designed to feel natural and intuitive, making it easy to use even if you have little or no computer experience.
- No hidden costs
It is free to download, and software updates are automatically included. It’s also virus-resistant, saving you money at every step.
- Connect to the world
When you are connected to the internet, Endless works like any other computer, so you can search the web or stay in touch with friends.
Endless OS 3.8.1 was released.
Improvements and Changes
- We’ve updated to Chromium 81.0.4044.138 bringing new security fixes to Endless’ built-in web browser.
- We are now shipping VMWare Guest Tools on Endless OS, which should provide a better experience when running Endless as a guest OS on VMWare.
- VMWare Player used to present an error message when importing Endless OS OVF images. This is fixed now and no error is presented.
- The configuration steps for parental controls during Initial Setup are now correctly translated to the selected language (if translations are available) rather than always displayed in English (as they were in Endless OS 3.8.0).
- Removing the password from an administrator account by choosing “Do not require a password when logging in” in Settings now work as expected.
- In previous releases, the App Center would sometimes not show or install all available application updates. This has now been resolved.
- The App Center now installs missing translations for installed applications when the system language is changed.
- In past releases, suspending and resuming the computer during Initial Setup would show a password prompt, requiring a reboot to restart the process. This is now fixed.
- When choosing an avatar in Settings → Users, Endless’s custom avatars are now offered once again.
- Endless OS 3.8.0 inadvertently dropped support for selecting a keyboard layout in password dialogs when using a non-latin keyboard layout. This has now been reinstated.
- An imminent release of Kolibri 5 will support desktop search; Endless OS 3.8.1 enables this by default on new systems.
- Some other minor bugfixes and improvements.
We are releasing an updated version of our Windows installer tool!
- Live USB sticks of EOS 3.7.4 or newer written using this new version of the tool support persistent storage. This means that any data created by the user, or apps installed in Live USB stick, remains available across subsequent boots of the Live USB stick. We believe this provides a better and more realistic experience when trying Endless OS via Live USBs.
- Note that when those same sticks are used to install Endless OS on a computer, the user data and apps from the Live USB stick are not transferred to the computer. The new installation starts fresh: new user accounts will need to be created, any apps that are not pre-installed in the image will need to be installed, and any data that the user wishes to keep from the Live USB needs to be manually copied.
- A few bugs when using the installer tool on Windows 7 or 8 were fixed, so the installer is now more likely to successfully create a live USB stick on those versions of Windows.