Windows 10 free upgrade policy is still valid
After the release of Windows 10, Microsoft issued a new policy that allows Windows 7 and 8.1 users to upgrade to Windows 10 for free without the need to purchase new licenses.
According to Microsoft’s instructions at that time, as long as it is a version that meets the upgrade conditions, it can be upgraded for free through such as the Windows 10 Upgrade Assistant and obtain a permanent license.
However, in 2016, Microsoft had ended the free policy, but at that time Microsoft also reserved additional channels for the user so that users of this group can continue to upgrade to Windows 10.
In the following years, users often found that it is still possible to continue to enjoy free policy upgrades. This seems to be a loophole in Microsoft’s free upgrade policy.
Some users said that the free upgrade policy is still available. The users said that the entire free upgrade policy is actually a marketing strategy, which is equivalent to Microsoft’s means to promote users to upgrade Windows 10 as soon as possible.
Therefore, this free upgrade policy will continue to be effective no matter whether it is four years ago or four years later, and users can still use this policy to upgrade as long as they want.
Microsoft is willing to carry out such free upgrade activities because Microsoft does not rely on home user authorization to earn income. System authorization is mainly for OEM and enterprise users.
And Microsoft can use Windows 10 to promote various free and value-added services, which is also the main reason why Microsoft is willing to provide so-called free upgrades.
These free and value-added services include browsers, Bing search, and Microsoft 365 personal and family subscriptions, which Microsoft now values more.
To get Windows 10 for free, follow these steps:
- Use a genuine copy of Windows 7 on your device or virtual machine.
- Head to Windows 10 download page and click on ‘Download tool now’.
- Open Media Creation Tool and select ‘Upgrade this PC now’. You’ll also need to click on the ‘Accept’ button to accept the terms and conditions.
- Choose the upgrade option where you keep your files and information. If you do a fresh install via Media Creation Tool, you may not get Windows 10 for free.
- After the installation completes, connect your device or virtual machine to the internet and open Windows Update > Activation.
- Click on the ‘Activate’ button if required and your PC will be activated with a digital license after it establishes a secure connection to Microsoft servers.
- If you’re unable to obtain the license, you can also enter your Windows 7 product key and manually activate the operating system.