VyOS is forked from the Vyatta community, is a network operating system that provides software-based network routing, firewall, and VPN functionality. VyOS is based on Debian GNU/Linux and is fully open source free. VyOS can run on physical devices and virtual platforms, supporting integration packages for para-virtual drives and virtual platforms.
VLANs:802.1q and QinQStatic and dynamic routing:BGP for IPv4 and IPv6, OSPFv2, RIP, RIPng, policy-based routing, equal cost multi-pathFirewall:Firewall rulesets for IPv4 and IPv6 traffic you can assign to interfaces, zone-based firewall, address/network/port groups for IPv4 firewallsTunnel interfaces:PPPoE, GRE, IPIP, SIT, static L2TPv3, VXLANVPN:Site-to-site IPsec for IPv4 and IPv6, L2TP/IPsec server, PPTP server, OpenVPN for site-to-site and remote accessNAT:Source NAT, port forwards, one to one, one to many, and many to many translationsDHCP:DHCP and DHCPv6 server and relayRedundancy:VRRP, connection table synchronizationFlow accounting:NetFlow and sFlowProxy:Web proxy and URL filteringShaping:QoS policies (drop tail, fair queue, and others), traffic redirection.
Options for MSS clamping
There are now options for per-interface MSS clamping. For example:
- set firewall options interface eth0 adjust-mss 1300
- set firewall options interface eth0 adjust-mss6 1300
New BGP options
- Extended next-hop capability: set protocols bgp 65535 neighbor 192.0.2.10 capability extended-nexthop
- Relaxed multipath option (consider paths with equal length multipath candidates): set protocols bgp 65535 parameters bestpath as-path multipath-relax
- Internal an external options for “remote-as” (accept any AS as long as it’s the same to this router or different, respectively): set protocols bgp 65535 neighbor 192.0.2.10 remote-as <internal|external>
- “Unnumbered” (interface-based) BGP peers: set protocols bgp 64840 neighbor 192.0.2.10 interface [v6only] <remote-as …|peer-group …>
- Not prepending local AS for non-local routes: set protocols bgp 64800 neighbor 22.214.171.124 local-as 64800 no-prepend
- Additive BGP community option (add rather than replace): set policy route-map Test rule 10 set community additive
- Network type option: set interfaces ethernet eth0 ipv6 ospfv3 network <broadcast|point-to-point>