Funtoo Linux 1.4 now offers a well-tested GNOME 3.32 desktop that can be merged as easily as doing:root # epro flavor desktop root # epro mix-in +gnome root # emerge -auDN @world xorg-x11 gnome
New Compiler Toolchain
Funtoo Linux 1.4 features a new compiler toolchain based upon gcc-9.2.0.
New OpenGL Subsystem
Funtoo Linux 1.4 also features an improved OpenGL subsystem, which is made up of many components but a few are worth noting and exploring in further detail:
- new nvidia-drivers
- mesa 19.1 and vulkan support
- Container CUDA/OpenCL/GPU acceleration
New nvidia-drivers ebuilds have been added to Funtoo Linux — these are completely new ebuilds that differ from Gentoo Linux. They have a separate ebuild,
nvidia-kernel-modules, which is responsible for installing the kernel modules themselves. If you are installing NVIDIA drivers on your personal system, please emerge
nvidia-kernel-modulesto install both
nvidia-kernel-modules, as the latter
DEPENDs on the former. But if you need to set up NVIDIA drivers in a containerized environment, emerge
nvidia-drivers, which will install just the userspace GL bits and does not depend on the kernel modules. This is necessary when setting up an NVIDIA-accelerated lxd container, for example.
New Mesa 19.1.4 ebuild
Funtoo features a new
mesa-19.1.4ebuild. This ebuild offers support for vulkan on systems that support it. In addition, as of 28 Jul 2019, our beta now offers totally revamped
VIDEO_CARDSsupport — see Make.conf/VIDEO_CARDS and this forums post for more information.
- LXC 3.0.4 and LXD 3.14 (most recent upstream stable releases) has been added along with official Funtoo Documentation.
- The necessary ebuilds have been created to support GPU acceleration within both Docker and LXD containers, allowing users to run OpenGL applications inside containers, among other things.
Along with the addition of
gcc-9.1.1come a host of improvements to our language offerings, some of which are listed below:
- The official version of python3 now supported is
python-3.7.3, which includes the addition of python-3.7 compatibility to quite a few ebuilds.
- The latest upstream versions of python are now included (3.7.3 as well as 2.7.15).
- Ruby has been upgraded to version 2.6.
- Perl has been raised to version 5.28.
- Go has been updated to 1.12.6.
- Google’s Dart 2.3.2 (with 2.4.0 coming soon) has been added as
- Oracle’s Java Runtime environment and development kit has been updated to 18.104.22.168.
Core-Server Kit Improvements
www-servers/nginxupdated to 1.17.0.
net-libs/nodejsupdated to 8.16.0.
- Oracle’s MySQL Community (Funtoo exclusive) updated to 8.0.16, and documentation updated to be more correct.