Microsoft has launched Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 20170, the new version mainly improves the sound setting experience.
At the same time, Microsoft has made some improvements to the search box to provide a two-column layout, allowing users to quickly refer to the content. At present, the new search style is only available in some regions.
In addition, starting from this version, Windows 10 enables the TLS version 1.3 transport layer security protocol by default, and IIS and HTTP.SYS also enables the TLS version 1.3 protocol by default.
Improving search from the taskbar in Windows 10
We’ve recently unveiled two improvements to the search bar in Windows that make it even easier to find what you need.
Click on Search in the taskbar or press the Windows key + S to view an updated design for Search Home. A new two-column layout offers easy readability, as well as fast access to Quick Searches, where you can see local weather, top news, and more helpful info. To find other web results or navigate directly to a website, just type in the search bar like normal.
The new layout is available in markets that enable Quick Searches, including the United States, Australia, Canada, China, France, Germany, India, Japan, Mexico, Spain, and the UK.
In addition, the Windows search bar now supports web search for Dutch-speaking customers in the Netherlands. Users with their Windows region set to Netherlands and their language set to Dutch can now search the web from their search bar without using a browser. Previously the feature was limited to English-speaking users in the region.
Changes and Improvements
- As part of our ongoing efforts to update the iconography across Windows, Insiders will notice we’re introducing a new Settings icon in this build. The new Settings icon looks great on the Start menu with the theme-aware tiles introduced in Build 20161!
- While we work on improving reliability, we’re temporarily turning off Notepad’s ability to persist open windows across restarts and updates.
- An experimental implementation of Transport Layer Security (TLS) 1.3 is enabled by default starting with Insider Preview Build 20170. IIS/HTTP.SYS have TLS 1.3 enabled by default. SSPI callers can use TLS 1.3 by passing the new crypto-agile SCH_CREDENTIALS structure when calling AcquireCredentialsHanlde. SSPI callers using TLS 1.3 need to make sure their code correctly handles SEC_I_RENEGOTIATE.
- We fixed an issue resulting in flickering when resizing certain apps when snapped side by side in tablet mode.
- We fixed an issue when using an IME where holding down the mouse left click key would eventually lead to input hanging.
- We fixed an issue resulting in the master volume slider in Sound Settings not working after removing and re-pairing certain Bluetooth devices.
- We fixed a race condition that could result in update notifications not appearing or appearing multiple times in quick succession.
- We fixed an issue resulting in typing not working on certain keyboards in the previous flight – appreciate your patience while we investigated.
- We fixed an issue that could result in modifier keys like Shift and CTRL sometimes being dropped over a remote desktop connection.
- We fixed an issue resulting in a small number of Insiders experiencing an issue where Start wouldn’t launch in the previous build.
- We fixed an issue that was increasing the amount of time it took for logoff to happen for some Insiders in the last few builds.
- We fixed an issue resulting in some Insiders finding that their screens became dimmer after upgrading to the last few builds.