The open source VLC is developing the fourth major version of its multi-format player. The organization has released some upcoming features and screenshots.
The following changes and improvements are expected:
- A modern user interface with transparency, improved controls and more
- An (optional) Media Library as found on the Android app, will come to the desktop version.
- Support for 3D and VR (Windows Media Reality, Vice, Oculus, PSVR).
- Wayland actually working.
- UPnP Rendering, AirPlay output, like ChromeCast.
- HEIF, Dash/Webm, TTML images, AV1 encoding, WebVTT.
- SDI as stream output.
- RIST (in and out).
- Dropping support for Windows XP and Vista, and older version of iOS and Android.
You can download VLC v4 nightly builds here.