SparkyLinux is a lightweight, fast, easy-to-use Linux distribution designed to work with both old and new computers, and features custom Enlightenment and LXDE desktops. It is based on Debian GNU/Linux. Sparky is targeted to all the computer’s users who want replace existing, proprietary driven OS to an open-sourced.
Sparky is also targeted to two different groups of users:
– Home Editions – with all the tools, codecs, plugins and drivers preinstalled – to the users who want to have everything ready and works from the first system’s run
– Base Editions – with minimal set of tools – to advanced users who like to set up everything as they want
Main features of Sparky
– Debian testing based
– rolling release
– lightweight, fast & simple
– set of desktops to choose: LXDE, Enlightenment, JWM, KDE, LXQt, Openbox, MATE, Xfce
– ultra light base edition with Openbox or JWM desktops
– special gaming edition: GameOver
– CLI Edition (no X) for building customized desktop
– most wireless and mobile network cards supported
– set of selected applications, multimedia codecs and plugins
– own repository with a large set of additional applications
– easy hard drive / USB installation
In general, Sparky is not targeted to Linux beginners, rather to users with some amount of Linux knowledge.
SparkyLinux 5.10 stable release has been released, code-named “Nibiru.”
This release is based on Debian 10 “Buster”.
– the base system has been upgraded from Debian stable repos as of January 10, 2020
– Linux kernel 4.19.67-2+deb10u1 LTS (PC)
– Linux kernel 4.19.75-v7+ (ARMHF)
– Chromium web browser changed to Firefox-ESR (ARMHF)
– small bug fixes and small improvements