SparkyLinux is a lightweight, fast, easy-to-use Linux distribution designed to work with both old and new computers, and features custom Enlightenment and LXDE desktops. It is based on Debian GNU/Linux. Sparky is targeted to all the computer’s users who want replace existing, proprietary driven OS to an open-sourced.
Sparky is also targeted to two different groups of users:
– Home Editions – with all the tools, codecs, plugins and drivers preinstalled – to the users who want to have everything ready and works from the first system’s run
– Base Editions – with minimal set of tools – to advanced users who like to set up everything as they want
Main features of Sparky
– Debian testing based
– rolling release
– lightweight, fast & simple
– set of desktops to choose: LXDE, Enlightenment, JWM, KDE, LXQt, Openbox, MATE, Xfce
– ultra light base edition with Openbox or JWM desktops
– special gaming edition: GameOver
– CLI Edition (no X) for building customized desktop
– most wireless and mobile network cards supported
– set of selected applications, multimedia codecs and plugins
– own repository with a large set of additional applications
– easy hard drive / USB installation
In general, Sparky is not targeted to Linux beginners, rather to users with some amount of Linux knowledge.
SparkyLinux 5.9 stable release has been released, code-named “Nibiru.”
This is a quarterly update of live/install media of the stable line, which is based on Debian 10 “Buster”.
The base system has been upgraded from Debian stable repos as of October 4, 2019.
It works on the Linux kernel 4.19.67 LTS.
As usually, new iso/img images provide small bug fixes and improvements as well.