PowerToys is a set of utilities for power users to tune and streamline their Windows experience for greater productivity. Inspired by the Windows 95 era PowerToys project, this reboot provides power users with ways to squeeze more efficiency out of the Windows 10 shell and customize it for individual workflows.
Windows key shortcut guide – The shortcut guide appears when a user holds the Windows key down for more than one second and shows the available shortcuts for the current state of the desktop. The shortcut guide backlog can be found here
PowerRename – PowerRename is a Windows Shell Extension for advanced bulk renaming using search and replaces or regular expressions. PowerRename allows simple search and replaces or more advanced regular expression matching. While you type in the search and replace input fields, the preview area will show what the items will be renamed to. PowerRename then calls into the Windows Explorer file operations engine to perform the rename. This has the benefit of allowing the rename operation to be undone after PowerRename exits.
Chris Davis contributed his SmartRename tool into PowerToys!
Additional utilities in the pipeline are
- Maximize to new desktop widget – The MTND widget shows a pop-up button when a user hovers over the maximize/restore button on any window. Clicking it creates a new desktop, sends the app to that desktop and maximizes the app on the new desktop.
- Process terminate tool
- Animated gif screen recorder
The full backlog of utilities can be found here.
This is patch release to fix a few items for 0.18. This release will fix the issues below:
- #3504 – FancyZones – Chrome tab regression
- #2259 – PowerToys Run – result / searching focus issue
- #3116 – PowerToys Run – updated term to packaged vs uwp
- #3128 – PowerToys Run – increase weight of exact match
- #3209 – PowerToys Run – Search pulling localized paths versus actual paths
- #3215 – PowerToys Run – Will not run as admin even if Runner is elevated
- #3227 – Keyboard manager – Will not run as admin even if Runner is elevated
- #3147 – Keyboard manager – Adjusted terms for remapping shortcuts to clarify which side maps to which