The Node.js project maintains multiple types of releases:
- Current: Released from active development branches of this repository, versioned by SemVer and signed by a member of the Release Team. Code for Current releases is organized in this repository by major version number. For example v4.x. The major version number of Current releases will increment every 6 months allowing for breaking changes to be introduced. This happens in April and October every year. Current release lines beginning in October each year have a maximum support life of 8 months. Current release lines beginning in April each year will convert to LTS (see below) after 6 months and receive further support for 30 months.
- LTS: Releases that receive Long-term Support, with a focus on stability and security. Every second Current release line (major version) will become an LTS line and receive 18 months of Active LTS support and a further 12 months of Maintenance. LTS release lines are given alphabetically ordered codenames, beginning with v4 Argon. LTS releases are less frequent and will attempt to maintain consistent major and minor version numbers, only incrementing patch version numbers. There are no breaking changes or feature additions, except in some special circumstances.
- Nightly: Versions of code in this repository on the current Current branch, automatically built every 24-hours where changes exist. Use with caution.
Node.js v13.12 releases.
macOS package notarization and a change in builder configuration
The macOS binaries for this release, and future 13.x releases, are now being compiled on
macOS 10.15 (Catalina) with Xcode 11 to support package notarization, a requirement for
installing on .pkg files on macOS 10.15 and later. Previous builds of Node.js 13.x were
compiled on macOS 10.11 (El Capitan) with Xcode 10. As binaries are still being compiled
to support a minimum of macOS 10.10 (Yosemite) we do not anticipate this having a negative
impact on Node.js 13.x users with older versions of macOS.
- macOS package notarization (Rod Vagg) #31459
- add –disable-proto option to cli (Gus Caplan) #32279
- move diagnostic reports to stable (Colin Ihrig) #32242
- allow URL in Worker constructor (Antoine du HAMEL) #31664
- use a global symbol for
util.promisify.custom(ExE Boss) #31672