Homebrew is the suite manager on MacOS, it will install the package to a separate directory, and link the file to /usr/local all files will be installed in the pre-defined directory, without worrying about Homebrew installation location.
- installs the stuff you need that Apple didn’t.
- installs packages to their own directory and then symlinks their files into /usr/local.
- won’t install files outside its prefix, and you can place a Homebrew installation wherever you like.
- Trivially create your own Homebrew packages
- It’s all Git and Ruby underneath, so hack away with the knowledge that you can easily revert your modifications and merge upstream updates.
- formulae are simple Ruby scripts
- complements macOS. Install your gems with gem, and their dependencies with brew.
- “To install, drag this icon…” no more. brew cask installs macOS apps, fonts and plugins and other non-open source software
Making a cask is as simple as creating a formula
- JavaRequirement: Change openjdk to adoptopenjdk (@sjackman)
- build: bump domain_name from 0.5.20180417 to 0.5.20190701 in /Library/Homebrew (@Homebrew)
- build: bump tins from 1.20.3 to 1.21.0 in /Library/Homebrew (@Homebrew)
- Gracefully handle missing USER env var (@joehorsnell)
- build: bump rspec-core from 3.8.1 to 3.8.2 in /Library/Homebrew (@Homebrew)
- Fix templates link in close bot (@vitorgalvao)
- build: bump public_suffix from 3.1.0 to 3.1.1 in /docs (@Homebrew)
- Update issue-close-app.yml (@Homebrew)
- build: bump rubocop from 0.71.0 to 0.72.0 in /Library/Homebrew (@Homebrew)
- Add security policy file (@Homebrew)
- Cask audit: globoff in appcast curl (@vitorgalvao)
- brew install will suggest brew cask install (@zachauten)
- brew vendor-gems: commit updates. (@MikeMcQuaid)
- build: bump rubocop-performance from 1.3.0 to 1.4.0 in /Library/Homebrew (@Homebrew)
- Docs: add caveat info to cookbook (@SMillerDev)
- .github/issue-close-app: make message friendlier. (@MikeMcQuaid)
- Cask audit: decompress appcast and use user-agent (@vitorgalvao)
- build: bump jaro_winkler from 1.5.2 to 1.5.3 in /Library/Homebrew (@Homebrew)
- python_virtualenv_constants: upgrade virtualenv to 16.6.1 (@lembacon)
- build: bump html-proofer from 3.10.2 to 3.11.0 in /docs (@Homebrew)
- Correct the link to Homebrew on Linux GitHub issues (@issyl0)