Homebrew is the suite manager on MacOS, it will install the package to a separate directory, and link the file to /usr/local all files will be installed in the pre-defined directory, without worrying about Homebrew installation location.
- installs the stuff you need that Apple didn’t.
- installs packages to their own directory and then symlinks their files into /usr/local.
- won’t install files outside its prefix, and you can place a Homebrew installation wherever you like.
- Trivially create your own Homebrew packages
- It’s all Git and Ruby underneath, so hack away with the knowledge that you can easily revert your modifications and merge upstream updates.
- formulae are simple Ruby scripts
- complements macOS. Install your gems with gem, and their dependencies with brew.
- “To install, drag this icon…” no more. brew cask installs macOS apps, fonts and plugins and other non-open source software
Making a cask is as simple as creating a formula
- Improve handling of deleted taps. (@MikeMcQuaid)
- Dockerfile.test.yml: Run brew test-bot as linuxbrew (@sjackman)
- tests: Disable tests that require being non-root (@sjackman)
- Prioritize CLI arguments over env vars when they conflict (@BenMusch)
- Add info on env variables for Formula Cookbook (@davidjb)
- Pass additional options to
- formula: make JSON caveats output use consistent prefix. (@MikeMcQuaid)
- cmd/install: add –bottle-arch. (@MikeMcQuaid)
- Dockerfile: do not chown linuxbrew folder (@iMichka)
- Allow editing broken casks. (@reitermarkus)
brew cask automergecommand. (@reitermarkus)
- Bump github-pages from 195 to 196 in /docs (@Homebrew)
- Dockerfile: Remove environment variable USER (@sjackman)
- brew.sh: allow Docker to run as root. (@MikeMcQuaid)
- Save cask config for reinstall/uninstall/upgrade. (@reitermarkus)
- Update maintainer documentation. (@MikeMcQuaid)
- brew.rb: don’t try to uninstall brew-cask keg. (@MikeMcQuaid)
- download_strategy: more robust filename content encoding handling. (@MikeMcQuaid)
- cleanup: don’t remove portable ruby on periodic cleanups. (@MikeMcQuaid)
- cleanup: add –prune-prefix option. (@MikeMcQuaid)
- Set DISPLAY environment variable for browser on Linux (@mtmiller)
- Bump github-pages from 194 to 195 in /docs (@Homebrew)
- Bump github-pages from 193 to 194 in /docs (@Homebrew)
- formula_installer: handle attempts to load invalid casks (@mistydemeo)
- cmd/repository: Fix man pages and help (@hjmallon)
- Bump rubocop from 0.63.1 to 0.64.0 in /Library/Homebrew/test (@Homebrew)
- exceptions.rb: move alternative solution to a new line (@maxim-belkin)
- Bump parallel_tests from 2.27.1 to 2.28.0 in /Library/Homebrew/test (@Homebrew)
- python_virtualenv_constants: upgrade virtualenv to 16.4.0 (@lembacon)
uninstall rmdir:after uninstalling artifacts. (@reitermarkus)
- Only create target directory if it doesn’t exist. (@reitermarkus)
- Bugfix: Calculate actual delta in usage (@tueksta)