Homebrew is the suite manager on MacOS, it will install the package to a separate directory, and link the file to /usr/local all files will be installed in the pre-defined directory, without worrying about Homebrew installation location.
- installs the stuff you need that Apple didn’t.
- installs packages to their own directory and then symlinks their files into /usr/local.
- won’t install files outside its prefix, and you can place a Homebrew installation wherever you like.
- Trivially create your own Homebrew packages
- It’s all Git and Ruby underneath, so hack away with the knowledge that you can easily revert your modifications and merge upstream updates.
- formulae are simple Ruby scripts
- complements macOS. Install your gems with gem, and their dependencies with brew.
- “To install, drag this icon…” no more. brew cask installs macOS apps, fonts and plugins and other non-open source software
Making a cask is as simple as creating a formula
- docs: update Acceptable Formula for options/guis (@jonchang)
- atomic_write: repair permissions after writing (@amyspark)
- ‘brew cask upgrade’ will continue upgrading casks after a failure (@zachauten)
#unstable?method for cask versions. (@reitermarkus)
- cask home: update to brew.sh (@vitorgalvao)
- update wording and formatting of messages text (@EricFromCanada)
- Revert “brew: remove sudo call” (@Homebrew)
- Drop unzip usage for Homebrew Cask (@amyspark)
- Improve error message on cask doctor (@carlosedp)
- xcode_requirement: fix Swift compatability check. (@MikeMcQuaid)
- Bump rspec-its from 1.2.0 to 1.3.0 in /Library/Homebrew (@Homebrew)
- Fix typo in cleaner.rb (@rb2k)
- Bump parser from 22.214.171.124 to 126.96.36.199 in /Library/Homebrew (@Homebrew)
- Bump rubocop from 0.67.1 to 0.67.2 in /Library/Homebrew (@Homebrew)
- Bump html-pipeline from 2.10.0 to 2.11.0 in /docs (@Homebrew)
- (cask): change cask template url
"to allow string interpolation on version (@muescha)
- Bump backports from 3.12.0 to 3.13.0 in /Library/Homebrew (@Homebrew)
- Redirect docs.brew.sh/linux to Homebrew on Linux (@sjackman)
- Bump rubocop from 0.66.0 to 0.67.1 in /Library/Homebrew (@Homebrew)