Android Studio is the official integrated development environment (IDE) for Google’s Android operating system, built on JetBrains’ IntelliJ IDEA software and designed specifically for Android development. It is available for download on Windows, macOS and Linux based operating systems. It is a replacement for the Eclipse Android Development Tools (ADT) as primary IDE for native Android application development.
Android Studio was announced on May 16, 2013, at the Google I/O conference. It was in early access preview stage starting from version 0.1 in May 2013, then entered beta stage starting from version 0.8 which was released in June 2014. The first stable build was released in December 2014, starting from version 1.0.
Android Studio 3.6 Canary 6 was released and is available for updates via the Canary and Dev channels.
This update includes fixes for the following public issues:
- Issue #137768457: Multiple versions in dependencies.pb file
- Issue #136567112: Update Gradle so that runtime and package time dependencies are not conflated for dynamic-features
- Issue #134989020: Android Gradle Plugin 3.6.0-alpha03 assumes ninja binaries next to CMake
- Issue #138404837: AS 3.6 build variants are not switched to compatible variants automatically
- Issue #136194613: BR fields no longer generated for @Bindable properties
- Issue #126775542: Testing with Robolectric 4.0 on DataBinding enabled lib modules will throw `java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: androidx/databinding/DataBinderMapperImpl`
- Issue #131127406: Can not resolve method ‘getString(?)’
- Issue #137541112: Add Provider-based API for getting the mapping file
- Issue #137002718: Publish zipflinger under com.android.tools.build
- Issue #137488460: java.nio.file.InvalidPathException
- Issue #135672715: Support targeting rules in JAR/AAR to R8/Proguard versions
- Issue #134374003: Android Gradle Plugin: “Expected output file at … for target … but there was none” when CMakeLists defines object libraries
- Issue #66890777: Bug: no quick-fix for missing “when” cases (the equivalant to “switch-case” in Java)
- Issue #135367227: “Clear All Constraints” button does not clear constraints
- Issue #131114390: Bug: quick-fix of adding permission check doesn’t do anything
- Issue #137035119: GradleModelMocker persists across lint invocations during tests causing an assertion to fail
Project Structure Dialog
- Issue #134442868: PSD does not show hierarchical view of modules
- Issue #137949567: Extra space or font alignment problem in gradle sync message
- Issue #131572129: Provide per-variant R8 printusage and printseed output